Takumi-Kun, the legendary Boys Love series of the early 2000s is having a 6th movie. That was the buzz last October 2022 when we first broke the news. After six months, the production company Culture Publishers releases some gorgeous photos and a teaser.
A teaser trailer has been released! The movie also has an official website!
Set in Shidou Gakuen, an all-boys boarding school up in the mountains, Takumi Kun encompasses all other BL movies, in its ambition and scope. With an array of exciting and promising young actors, breathtaking locations, a memorable and poignant musical score, and stories that explore the beauty and pain of young love.
Takumi-Kun may be considered a trailblazer for being simply the best of its kind. This is from an original post at Psycho-Drama.
Shinobu Goto’s novel will be made into a new live-action film. It will be released in Japanese theaters in 2023 and probably in a few months internationally (via different streaming platforms). Kadokawa, a production company that produces BL in Japan, will definitely make this movie available outside Japan.
Says the author:
This year marks the 30th anniversary of my debut as a novelist, and I am honored to announce that the sixth film in the Takumi-kun series will be made. After so many years, it is nothing but an honor for me to be able to make a new movie again as the original author. I’m really looking forward to seeing what kind of Takumi-kun world will be created with the new cast.News article from Japanese Entertainment portal Natalie, edits by the author.
The new movie stars Shion Morishita as Takumi Hayama, and Daigo Kato as Giichi Saki, Takumi’s lover.
Takumi-Kun Series: Milestones
- The Takumi-kun series is successful during its run. It becomes one of the most popular yaoi novels. In 2007, the novel series sold a cumulative total of 4 million copies. By 2016, the novels had sold a cumulative total of 5 million copies.;
- A stage play adaptation of Soshite Harukaze ni Sasayaite ran in December 2009. The DVD was released on April 16, 2010;
- Hamao Kyousuke and Daisuke Watanabe participated in a number of fan meetings. They can be considered the first BL ship;
- Takumi-kun Series: Soshite Harukaze ni Sasayaite was released in 2007, with the main cast Yanagishita Tomo as Takumi and Keisuke Kato as Giichi. This is Takumi kun Series 1;
- Takumi-kun Series: Niji-iro no Glass (2009), Takumi-kun Series: Bibō no Detail (2010), and Takumi-kun Series: Ano, Hareta Aozora (2011) center on Takumi-Gaiichi, with Hamao Kyousuke and Daisuke Watanabe as main cast. This is Takumi kun Series 2-5;
- Takumi-kun Series: Pure (2010) is a spin-off.;
- The movie is already called ‘Takumi kun Series 6’;
- Director Kenji Yokoi took over the 2nd to 5th movies and returns to manage the upcoming 6th film slated for 2023.
Takumi Hayama has a painful past. He suffers from the ‘human phobia syndrome’ due to an incident when he was a young boy. Entering an exclusive boys’ school up in the mountains is something he never aspires for. He’s regarded by his classmates as unapproachable, dull, and lacking the social graces of most students. The only person who thinks otherwise is Giichi Saki, or simply Gii. Saki happens to be the most popular boy in school. He’s also rich and often goes to the United States for vacation. They became roommates, which made Takumi the subject of envy and jealousy.
Then, all of a sudden, Gii declares his love for Takumi. Shocked by the sudden gesture, Takumi confronts his inner demons and enters a new phase in life and love. [Synopsis © Psycho-Weird]
Takumi-kun Series 6 Casting
The role of Takumi Hayama is given to 19-year-old rookie Shion Morishita, The role is Morishita’s debut in the entertainment industry. He is known for uploading popular TikTok videos. The role of Giichi Saki, the boyfriend of Hayama, is played by 22-year-old Daigo Kato, best known as Jyushi Aimono in the Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle stage plays. Kato is affiliated with Watanabe Entertainment.
Goto states that the high school arc of the Takumi-kun series has been filmed already. The end of the story has been revealed. He also says that the college student arc and the working adult edition continue to be conceptualized and written. And that “this 6th movie is based on the complete version.”
Shinobu Goto: Personal Statements
Goto reveals that he personally requested director Yokoi to continue with the series, and cast the actors. Following is Goto’s personal statement regarding the 6th movie:
Currently, live-action BL works are flourishing not only in Japan but also in other Asian countries. As the original author, it is nothing but an honor for the baton to be handed over and a new movie to be made again after many years. I am looking forward to seeing what kind of world Takumi will create with the new cast. I would like everyone to look forward to it, and I would like you to support the Takumi-kun series with the new cast.News article from Japanese Entertainment portal Natalie, edits by the author.
Gorgeous photos featuring the main cast!
We highly recommend our BL Anime section to browse anime titles with BL themes.
An old-timer BL fan way back in 2007. I started out loving BL after watching the Takumi-kun series from Japan, went on collecting BL manga, and watched old BL anime such as Junjou Romantica and the likes. Love of Siam allow me to transition into Thai, while Amphetamine gave me glimpses of Taiwanese BL magic. I love to write reviews and I’m one of the administrators of Psycho Weird.